Wednesday, March 18, 2009

SB

With all the current turmoil in Mexico, it seems almost ridiculous that people still plan on going there for spring break. Before the situation worsened my friends and I planned on going to Cancun, but then decided against it when we heard about the drug wars. The country has been advising people, especially college students, not to go to Mexico because it is so dangerous. There is a very high risk for kid napping and even murder. Now that our vacation has ended, I am interested to hear about people's experiences south of the border. Many said that they were scared at some point during there stay and a couple of the girls I talked to even said they cried when they saw their hotel and it wasn't uncommon for kids to have things stolen. One boy got his passport stolen from off his bedside table and has been stuck in Mexico since. His family moved him to the Four Seasons, just for safety purposes. Here's a link to one of the press releases cautioning spring breakers: http://news.aol.com/article/mexico-violence-spring-break-warning/360350

3 comments:

  1. I agree that it is very scary hearing about all the violence that is taking place in Mexico due to the Drug Wars. However, I still continued to travel to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for Spring Break. My parents were very nervous and told me to call home everyday. While in Mexico, my friends and I were extremely lucky that we had a great time and did not witness any of the violence. I am so thankful that we are all safe and next year I am sure that I will be spending Spring Break in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hadn't heard about the Drug Wars until I went home for Spring Break and my family was talking about them. I know a lot of my friends who had spring break after we did changed plans and ended up going to South Padre or Florida. It's very scary that all of this is going on so close to the US, especially Texas, and California. I know I will not be going to Mexico any time soon until they have gotten everything under control, but I feel like if even the police are getting killed, then Mexico will not be safe again for tourist for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelci, Coming from a first person point of view, it was terrifying. When I was there last weekend and there were military checkpoints everywhere. Leaving the resort was strongly discouraged and there were even Mexican soldiers with AK-47's on the beach. If you didn't know, it is really spilling into the US, and Mexican cartels have connections in every state even Alaska and Montana. Dallas is acutally one of the biggest hubs, to scare you some more. I am glad that it is becoming more publicized, so more attention will increase the demand for them to fix this all. Great blog, Kelc

    ReplyDelete